Check out what’s going on in the American League East.
The Phillies have traded outfield prospect Joey Curletta to the Mariners in exchange for ambidextrous pitcher, Pat Venditte. While the flashy ambidextrous character trade tends to overshadow the 32-year old’s not-so-flashy 4.97 ERA, it is worth noting that he can shut down lefty batters. This creates the spot for him to come out of the bullpen as a southpaw reliever, a pivotal role Philadelphia can capitalize on. Now that Team Italy has been eliminated from the World Baseball Classic, Venditte will join the Phillies at spring training as a non roster invite.
Here’s what other news is boppin’ around the National League East:
- Nationals’ southpaw Enny Romero impressed everyone during his first World Baseball Classic appearance on Sunday for the Dominican Republic.
- Michael Conforto deserves a starting spot on this seasons Mets roster and this is why.
- Nick Williams is hustling through spring training to be the best Phillie he can be next season.
- The Marlins backloaded the prospected deal to Kenley Jansen which most likely resulted in the reliever resigning with the Dodgers. Let’s all take a moment to be quietly shocked.
- Bartolo didn’t do so well in his most recent start with the Braves but we’re willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on this one.
- Stephen Strasburg pitched a very promising spring training game to quick everyone light your prayer candles now.
- Did the East Coast snow totally ruin your Pi Day? Here are some fun Mets Pi Day facts to help you get your delayed fix.
- Will Brock Stassi be breaking into the Phillies 40-man? He’s got a decent change.
- Does it make sense for the Marlins to sign free agent Billy Butler?
- The Braves have landed nine players on FanGraphs’ Top 100 Prospects lists, so there is hope.
- The Nationals have been hibernating all offseason to make another run for the NL pennant, and they’re in the perfect position to do so.
- The Mets send Amed Rosario and a handful of other players down to minor league camps.
- Who will make up the Marlins 2017 rotation?
- The Braves have claimed LHP Kevin Chapman off of waivers from the Astros.