Check out what’s going on around the National League East.
The Nationals have signed veteran catcher Matt Wieters to a two year, $21M deal. The 30-year old slashed .243/.302/.409 last season in Baltimore. The deal includes and opt out after the first year. Thus drains the pool of best free agents left on the market. Time to turn off all the stoves and call it an offseason.
Here’s what else is happening in the National League East:
- Matt Stairs is out to make sure that the Phillies change their offensive approach.
- The Braves are interested in veteran Kelly Johnson.
- The contract extension talks between Neil Walker and the Mets are being held up over Walker’s 2017 salary. Things can potentially get messy.
- Public Service Announcement: Washington catcher Spencer Kieboom is baking things at spring training and honestly we’re pretty fascinated.
- Jeff Locke has been temporarily shut down due to tendinitis.
- Here’s the case for Jered Eickhoff being the Phillies’ Opening Day starter.
- Check out this exclusive interview with Braves pitching prospect
and final hope, Kyle Muller.
- Meet the first batch of spring training pitchers for New York.
- There are a lot of questions we have going into spring training with the Nationals, so keep your head a on a swivel for these storylines (and also Stephen Strasburg).
- The Marlins pitching depth is going to be their make or break this season.
- Chris Christie called Philadelphia fans “bitter”, which was not only a cold move, but a stupid one, because then the Phillies straight up owned him.
- With spring training in full swing, take a look at the Braves current active roster.
- Here is David Wright, live and in person, throwing baseballs. This is not a drill, I repeat, this is not a drill.
- Don’t eff with Ichiro. Don’t even think about it.