The Angels will be without their four-time Gold Glove-winning shortstop for a while.
The MLB Daily Dish is a daily feature we’re running here at MLBDD that rounds up roster-impacting news, rumors, and analysis. Have feedback or have something that should be the shared? Hit us up at @mlbdailydish on Twitter or @MLBDailyDish on Instagram.
- Angels shortstop Andrelton Simmons has been placed on the 10-day injured list and is expected to miss at least six weeks after suffering a grade three ankle sprain in Monday night’s loss to the Twins.
- As you get prepared for this year’s draft, read up on some of the best hitters available.
- The Mets have not had the best luck when it comes to wins and losses as well as injuries of late. That luck continued as Yoenis Céspedes, who was already out with heel injuries, broke his ankle at his ranch during non-baseball activities and will out for a while.
- The Braves and Mariners made a quirky little trade where both sides are hoping for the “change of scenery” good vibes as the Braves received Anthony Swarzak in exchange for Jesse Biddle and the injured Arodys Vizcaíno. The Braves wanted to give a new arm a look and the Mariners have a GM in Jerry Dipoto that apparently is contractually obligated to make a trade at least every six weeks if not more. A match made in heaven.
- Looking ahead to the upcoming draft, our own Andersen Pickard took a look at the AL East’s farm system needs to give us an idea of what to look (and hope) for in the draft.
- The 2019 MLB Draft is very quickly approaching and a new generation of baseball players are ready to take their crack at the show. However, this year the rules are a little different. Here’s now the new CBA affects how the draft operates.
- The Giants’ outfield has been a bit of a mess this season, as the team has yet to figure out who they can rely on out there. Our own Andersen Pickard takes a look at the potential options they have at their disposal and what they should do going forward.
- The Yankees have had a LOT of issues with injuries this season and it is frankly impressive that they have been able to perform as well as they have despite those injuries. Unfortunately, they got more bad news, as they learned that Miguel Andujar was going to have season-ending shoulder surgery to repair a torn labrum in his shoulder.
- Prepare to be shocked and surprised: The Marlins are even worse than we thought. Now, the next logical question: who, if anyone, is to blame for that?
- We’re just weeks away from the draft, and our Cristiana Caruso kicked off our coverage at MLBDD by putting together a composite mock draft, averaging out the projections from MLB.com’s Jonathan Mayo and ESPN’s Keith Law.
- How Tommy Hottovy revolutionized the Cubs’ pitching staff.
- Hunter Dozier’s prospect star seemed to have faded after he struggled in his first six professional seasons. Dozier has arguably been the best player in the American League this season, though, and he looks to be developing into a legitimate star.
- The Braves’ Dansby Swanson had a rough couple of seasons in 2017 and 2018 at the plate. However, in 2019 he looks like a brand new hitter, and our own Stephen Tolbert took a look at what has changed for Swanson and if these changes appear to be sustainable.
- Our Andersen Pickard examines the early season trends in the AL East…you know, other than literally no one being able to stay healthy.
- There have been a ton of extensions recently around baseball, with many of them given to some of the game’s finest young stars. To keep up with all of the extensions we have seen, here is a tracker our own Cristiana Caruso put together.
- Not only is MLB implementing some rule changes over the next couple of years, but they are also workshopping other changes in the independent Atlantic League to see how things work or don’t work. Our own Stephen Tolbert took a look at these potential changes to see what impacts they could have on games.